PREVIOUS

From "Dramalogue" 20 years ago:

PAUL MICHAEL GLASER DEFENDS "GAY" WAYS

Psychiatrists and TV critics have rapped S&H, charging its characters encourage homosexuality or bisexuality. They point out the show's stars, DS and PMG, frequently hug and touch each other and occasionally kiss. Critics contend the overly warm relationship between the TV cops could influence the many young impressionable viewers of the top show.

But Glaser, who portrays Starsky, disagrees. He believes the show not only gives the viewers what they want to see but what they need to see.

"There's an awful lot that's been written about it and a lot of guessing has been going on," Glaser recently told an interviewer. "Some people say it has to do with the chemistry between me and my partner, which I do think plays an important part. We're in a day and age when people really do like to be reassured that a love relationship can exist for people who lay down their lives for a friend. It provides a fantasy for most of the viewing public and a needed fantasy. I think it's academic to start worrying about sex. Obviously, in our culture, and especially in this country where we're so preoccupied with sex and with who's friends with whom, it does mean a lot that a heterosexual relationship, or rather, a relationship between two men who are heterosexual, is like this.

"Simply the fact that two men care for each other means a lot to people. They like to see that. In our lives everyday there is so much friction, so many problems, so many difficulties, it's reassuring to see that."

"My intention is to communicate love, hate, the human experience to the public. That's what the theatrical experience is all about."

NEXT